A cosmopolitan city that still manages to retain its natural splendor by surrounding and immersing itself in man-made as well as naturally established garden landscapes. In the 16 th century, this contrasting city was discovered by Maoris, but only settled and grew in the 1800s, making it officially the oldest established city in New Zealand.
Within one or two hours drive away lay different worlds of alpine mountains, oceans, forests, rolling hills, lakes and rivers. Every possible form of landscape is within your reach thus the opportunities for recreation are endless. Christchurch is an ideal place to base yourself to explore and discover. Set on the east coast of New Zealand , with a population of nearly 360 000 people, Christchurch is approximately 45,300 hectares wide.
- Visit the Air Force Museum that tells the flight history of New Zealand and displays 28 nicely restored classic aircrafts. Open every day from 10am – 5pm.
- The Arts Centre Te Pokapu Toi o Otautahi is open every day and offers a range of creativity with its galleries, eateries, markets, theatres, concerts and more!
- Christchurch is also known as the Garden City so visiting the Botanical Gardens to visit the extravagant displays of fauna and flora is a must.
- To gain insight and an in depth understanding of New Zealand Art, visiting The Centre of Contemporary Art allows you to view five galleries and the 60 plus exhibitions held every year. It's open from Tuesday to Friday from 10am to 5pm.
- Christchurch Casino is open 24 hours, has over 400 gaming machines and a wide variety of table games. Located centrally and easily accessible, you must be dressed in smart casual attire and be over 20 years old.
- With 360° views of the city and its surroundings, visit Christchurch Gondola, Christchurch 's famous extinct volcano. Open daily from 10am.
- Go on the Christchurch Heritage Trams to discover the ins and outs of Christchurch .
- The International Antarctic Centre, twice voted New Zealand 's best attraction, is a modern campus with rides, eateries and more and is open seven days a week from 9am.
- Go on one of the many cruises including a dolphin cruise, extinct volcano crater cruise and island cruise.
- With over 100 vehicles from classic cars to horse buggies, Yaldhurst Museum of Transport and Science is open from 10am to 5pm and is definitely an interesting place to visit